Operation Round Up is a significant way LREC members come together to make a difference in our community. Extra change generated from rounding up the monthly bills of participating members is used to fund requests by local charitable organizations. These small amounts — between $0.01 to $0.99 — all add up to make a big impact.
For example: if your bill is $72.36, it is rounded up to $73.00 and the extra 64¢ goes to the Operation Round Up Trust Fund. Multiply all that extra change by the thousands of generous LREC members who participate, and it makes a BIG difference in our local communities. This unique program has provided funds for purchasing various items for local fire departments, groups serving youth, medical equipment for those in need, donations to food shelves and many other worthwhile causes. Currently, the total amount donated since 2007 is $343,365.
Operation Round Up—small change that changes lives.
Please consider signing up to be part of Operation Round Up and make an impact in our community.
How to Participate
Our SmartHub users can sign up by just logging into their SmartHub account.
- Log into SmartHub and visit the Billing & Payments tab, then select Operation Round Up.
- Click Enroll and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Choose an Enrollment Option and click Confirm. You have the option to unenroll anytime.
Members who aren't signed up with SmartHub can sign up at Operation Round Up Participation Agreement.
How to Get Funding
If you have a community project that needs funding, complete the online Operation Round Up Request for Funding form and submit it with supporting documentation for consideration.
Applications for funding will be accepted until September 15, 2021.
Contributions will be distributed primarily in the local area served by Lake Region Electric Cooperative. Donations will be limited to non-profit, charitable organizations. Non-profit organizations that have been granted IRS Code 501(c)(3) status and serve a large number of people will be given priority.
Recent Grant Recipients
Funds were granted to six local organizations throughout Lake Region Electric Cooperative's service area from the Operation Round Up Program. A total of $11,100 was awarded by the Operation Round Up Board of Trustees at the July 13, 2021 meeting.
Organizations receiving funds were:
- $1,250 to Otter Tail Youth Ski League for equipment trailer
- $2,000 to Parkers Prairie Community Ambulance for cardiac equipment
- $360 to East Otter Tail 4-H for bike rodeos in Henning and Perham areas
- $2,500 to Perham Rotary Club for Scout Park
- $2,500 to Soul Purpose dba Matthew House for Second Chances project
- $2,500 to Perham Area Community Center (PACC) for Creating a Community HUB project
The total amount awarded since 2007 is $422,060.
Board of Trustees
Operation Round Up is a voluntary charitable fundraising program through Lake Region Electric Cooperative. The trust fund is overseen by a volunteer, nine-member board of trustees, who are selected to serve by LREC’s board of directors.
Current ORU Trustee Board members are:
- District 1: Karen Hart
- District 2: Polly Reitan
- District 3: Al Berube (Chair)
- District 4: Sandy Antonsen
- District 5: Patty Johnson
- District 6: Kristie Partain
- District 7: Tex Larson
- District 8: Don Davenport
- District 9: Ruth Vetter